Total Pageviews

Saturday 2 February 2013

Interview with Boris Randall (Splatterpunks, Hallowmas, Necrophagia, Propagan, Solo Artist).

I thought I'd do something a little different today. I'd like to introduce you all to an amazing musician you should all check out, who has also wrote for Fangoria magazine and worked with Rue Morgue magazine. If you like good music, down to earth people and are into horror you are bound to like this guy!!! Boris Randall was kind enough to answer some questions on music and horror. So without further rambling from yours truly, here we go.





First off, would you be kind enough to give my readers a little history of your musical tastes, and the bands you have formed/played in?

Sure. I started playing when I was nine. Was in my first band at twelve, and hit the stage for the first time at sixteen.....playing metal. I got into punk at sixteen and formed my first band, The Splatterpunks in 1989. Kinda combined elements of Sex Pistols, Ramones, Misfits, etc with lyrics exclusively about horror films. I kept The Splatterpunks going for ten years until I felt that I had done everything I wanted with it. Then, I formed a band called Hallowmas. Same scenario, but the music was a little more rock oriented. Still all about horror. Hallowmas was together for four years and had two world-wide releases (which can be purchased just about anywhere online) and countless indie released singles and EPs. When 2008/2009 hit I was having trouble staying interested in horror themed punk rock. After 20 years of doing it, I really felt that I had done all I could with it. So, that's when I joined long time friend, Killjoy, in his band Necrophagia. I filled the guitar slot. We made an album (Deathtrip '69) and played some shows in the states and over seas. Come 2011, I was ready to devote my full attention to my own music, which was Propagan and my solo stuff. That's what I've been doing ever since.

Has Horror always been an influence in your music?

Horror has always been an influence on me, whether it be totally obvious or very vague, it's always there in one way or another.

Tell us about your Ambient solo project you have just released on The Boris Randall Store, and where the proceeds are going.

I've just released an album of ambient/orchestral music for a friend of mine who has been diagnosed with stage 3 brain cancer. She needs help with medical bills so 100% of the profits of this release go to her. It's called "House Of The Dying Nun" and can be downloaded from my online store: www.theborisrandallstore.bandcamp.com



What came first for you? Horror or Music?

I think they came together. I come from a musical family, so music has always been in my life from day one. And I remember watching horror when I was as young as five. Salem's Lot, Amityville Horror, The Fog, Dark Night Of The Scarecrow. And it all affected me in a way that I felt it was right. That it was who I was.

What makes a good Rock/Metal song? Is it all about the riff or is it an all encompassing band thing, or something else entirely?

What makes a good rock/metal song (or any song) really depends on the song itself. There are bands that only focus on certain elements like the riff, and that works for them. But some bands write as a whole. And sometimes you have some really great lyrics and need to get the melody across, so the music takes a back seat.

What makes a good Horror movie? Is it all about gore, or is creepiness more of a factor or is it something else entirely?

What makes a good horror film is also just as vague. Haha. It really depends on who's doing it and how it's done. A film with no plot, but tons of gore CAN be every bit as good as a film with a genius story line and very little gore. It really just comes down to execution (no pun intended).

Do you have any plans to play live/tour with Propagan, or with your solo material?

Propagan is currently working on the debut EP. It's just about finished, in the mixing/mastering stage. Once it's released we're going to see what kind of buzz it generates. We really would like to get out there and support it, but it all boils down to the financial aspect of it all. Hard to tell at this point.

What music and movies do you enjoy listening to/watching when you arent working or composing? May we have a list of some of your favourite bands and movies?

The music I enjoy is all over the place. I love metal, black metal, rock, old country, classic rock from the 70s, classical music, you name it. I love good music. And I love a variety. It helps me with my own music.

Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Captain Beyond, Jex Thoth, The Sword, Orange Goblin, Corrosion Of Conformity, Venom, Celtic Frost, Saint Vitus, Megadeth, Judas Priest, Samhain, Beatles, Wings, Abba, Cheap Trick, Deicide, Slayer, Minor Threat, Sex Pistols, Fugazi, Coven, Electric Wizard, The Kinks, Morrissey, Jethro Tull, Mozart, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Albinoni, Orf, Faun, Johnny Cash, Ramones, The Jam, Misfits, Charlie Clouser, Nine Inch Nails, David Bowie, German Oak, Hermann Kopp, Nirvana.

As far as films, I watch horror 24/7s. There's always a horror film on the television. And I watch every style and genre from every era. I love films that show a stark realism and darkness in human beings. NECROMANTIK, NAKED BLOOD, SINGAPORE SLING, GROTESQUE, SINFUL DWARF, BLOOD SUCKING FREAKS.

Then there's horror with a great artistic style.
SUSPIRIA, EYES WITHOUT A FACE, THE BEGOTTEN, CALL OF CTHULU(silent 2005).
I love silent horror too.
NOSFERATU, FAUST, PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, L'INFERNO, CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI.

It's hard to make lists as I love so much of it! All of the Universal films, through the campy 50s and 60s atom age/surf party/rubber monster stuff, the gritty 70s grind house and foreign films, up through the 80s and 90s. But there aren't too many newer films that I've seen that I like.

What got you into these sort of movies/this kind of music? Was it something you came across in your teenage years, or do you feel it is something that you were born with?

I remember first watching horror when I was very young. My mother was always watching them, but didn't want to watch them alone, so she would let my brother and I stay up all night with her and watch them. They just seemed to click with me. I really connected with the tragedy, sorrow, fear, evil, and loss of the things I was watching. It felt like it was who I already was. So, I've just carried it with me through my life. Horror is in my music, films, what I read, what I paint, my poetry. I collect horror related items, so I'm surrounded by it at home as well.

Thankyou very much for agreeing to the interview!! It is very much appreciated!!

I thank you for the time. If anyone would like to check out releases from The Splatterpunks, Hallowmas, and even my current solo music they can go to www.theborisrandallstore.bandcamp.com













 



  












    Anyone reading this should check out everything this guy has done!! One of the most down to earth guys I have ever had the pleasure of speaking to!! And so passionate!!

    Many thanks again to Boris Randall.

    Darkest regards......Dani.

    2 comments:

    1. Very cool! I've been trying to get an interview with Killjoy for my site for a couple of years now.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Keep your eyes peeled here!! That will be happening very soon, as will a review of Necrophagia/Repulsions London show!!

      ReplyDelete