Total Pageviews

Thursday 21 June 2012

Ghoulies ( 1985 ).







I thought I'd write about one of my all time favorite little monster movies this time. Having seen Gremlins, Critters, and even The Munchies, the cover to this movie always appealed to me.

Of course, when I actually watched the movie, I was slightly disappointed to find the ghoulies of the title didn't feature as much as I had been led to believe, but it was still a fun supernatural movie and looking back, one that I am surprised I was allowed to watch due to the black magic involved in the film.

A college kid inherits a mansion that was owned by his recently deceased father, who also had a penchant for the black arts. His son also shows an interest in the black arts and manages to raise small demons, the Ghoulies of the title, from hell. He also manages to raise the corpse of his dead father who has come back to unleash hell..... literally.




Yes, I know what you are all thinking, and I do agree, this film is bad. But you know what? It's a hell of a lot of fun, and I'm sure the makers knew it as it really doesn't take itself too seriously.

The scene that sticks out the most, at least for me is when a guy is being seduced by a blonde woman with amazing eyes, who turns out to be the zombie father,  flings his tongue around the neck of the guy he/she was seducing.


This movie takes so many things that were a staple of 80's trash cinema. You've got slime, sex, creatures, satanic rituals and even 80's style hair!!

Also of mention are two imps, dressed up like cast offs from some fantasy epic and boy did they make me laugh.




All in all, I have to admit to being more of a fan of the sequels, but I do still enjoy catching up with this movie as it is enjoyable and pure 80s cheese. Check it out.

Also of note, this movie started off as a collaboration between Charles Band and Stan Winston, who had previously worked together on a movie called Parasite and wished to work together again. The movie ended up being directed by Luca Bercovici , with the special FX being handles by John Carl Beuchler.


You can buy the Ghoulies 1 and 2 movies on 1 DVD from amazon here.


Darkest regards......Dani.

No comments:

Post a Comment